AN INCLUSIVE METIS NATION FROM COAST TO COAST

AN INCLUSIVE METIS NATION FROM COAST TO COAST

Messagepar admin » Ven 16 Août 2013 00:08

It is not very often that I comment on Metis issue raised outside my province of Québec but at time it important to point out some issue that might be overlook because we tend at time as Metis to be scared to ruffle some feather and in our case some sashes.

I can not disagree with the comment raised by Joe Desjarlais which family came originally from the lower Canada of Québec and Acadia the mother land of most of the Métis. The Members of that particular family clan moved and established themselves in St Laurent Manitoba keeping alive this old french Michif spoken language still strongly spoken by the Québec Metis. I have been good friend with Edgar Desjarlais from St Laurent for over 40 years and know very well this family.

We all Know but we refuse to say it loud, that the current governments and the leadership of well recognized Métis organizations of the Home land of the Red River get it wrong when they coerce Métis people into a singular definitional approaches to suit their dominant Red River settlement Metis power interests . But I want to believe that it is changing and will change with open dialogue and true Métis éducation and learning of true metis history from its eastern beginning.

Just imagine what would happen if the Métis Nation Québec ,who their citizens do not speak a single world of English became part of the Metis National Council ? This mean the Metis National Council would have for once to provide service in the French Michif language.

May it is time it happen to save the french michif language and implement the use of the french Michif language in all Metis organizations of the prairie who are no longer able either to speak or understand the Cree Michif of French Mischif languages because of assimilation.

By loosing this linguistic connection it is also unfortunate to see these assimilated Métis are now mostly in control of most of the Metis organizations in Canada and are categorically refusing to recognize Metis east of Ontario or the original Metis born and raised in British Columbia for quite a few generation.

Metis from the Red River settlement who move in British Columbia or in Ontario in the last 20 years or less were not born and raised in these provinces and were not part of what the Metis of these provinces did suffer over the years to sustain their livelihood and preserved their Metis identity. None of these transient Metis did not belong to the original Metis family clans rooted in theses provinces .

I am sure that Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta Métis would refused categorically to be ruled and lead by Metis of British Columbia, Ontario or Québec.

I agree, instead of attempting to fixate a particular kind of definition, its time to meander down the pathway to affirming and including each other’s perspectives, and tossing out the coercive bits. But we must first recognize the role, the responsibility and the authority of the original Metis of each province to have a major role in leading their territorial destiny according to their territorial vision. Not transient Metis from other provinces should interfere in that process.

I am a Métis from Québec, long involved in the Metis movement like my ancestors did, and I acquired my recognition as Métis from my Metis family clan of my province and supported by a well documented history connected to it over centuries. Ironically if I tried to apply for Metis recognition in BC or the Metis Nation of BC or any other western provinces Metis Nations, I will be refused because my metiness does not come from the Red River settlements . Members of my families moved and were raised on Vancouver island since the early 1970′. They also are not able to be recognized as Metis in BC because like me their metiness does not come from the Red River settlement.

I like to think also like Joe Desjarlais about being Metis as a process of slowly building a consensus in policy that will finally reflects and respect our many Metis realities in this country.

I also like to see great leaders like Lyle Letendre and members of his community to be in the forefront of the Metis Movement and the Metis definition of the original Métis of British Colombia because it is their original territory and because he and the original Metis and their family clans of British Columbia will always be there and will always be responsible for their future generation and to sustain their original jurisdiction in partnership with the local First Nations on their territory.

IT DOES NOT make sense to me that Metis organizations created and run by transient Metis to provide services to transient Metis attempt to take the lead or to to negotiate Metis agreement or land claims on their behalf . But nothing stop these transient Métis to participate and be included in these negotiation processes went it must satisfied program delivery to Métis who recently moved in that province or will reside temporarily.

Me to, I am hopefull the Métis Identity Symposium in BC can set us in this healthier direction, spurring a public Métis conversation that includes every Metis. Broadening this Métis definition to other perspectives, including ones we disagree with could be, if handled correctly.

Yes Joe a turning point in this country to really define an inclusive Métis Nation from coast to coast in respect of its regional and provincial disparity and of course in respect of its Métis languages. But we shall never let no one use the word Metis to reduce its definition to a generic term like they did with the word Indian or Canadian when the word Metis is comprise of a Metis National identity, a Metis Flag, a Métis history, a Metis culture, a Metis language and a Metis identity, strongly ties with the French and the First Nations alike.

Something forgotten by western Métis assimilated to the english language or the one from the English intermarriage called half-breed or country born who have no tie or connection to the beginning of the Métis history in eastern Canada and are unfortunately controlling most Métis organizations in western Canada.

Metissement vôtre
Claude Aubin
Claude Aubin
Métis et administrateur de ce site.

info@claudeaubinmetis.com
admin
Administrateur du site

Revenir vers Éditorial