THE FORGOTTEN METIS CHILDREN OF THE POPE VISIT

THE FORGOTTEN METIS CHILDREN OF THE POPE VISIT

Messagepar admin » Sam 23 Juil 2022 21:17

I am a Metis survivor who attended a non Aboriginal catholic residential school . Since I was 6 years old ,I went to 2 french catholic residential schools for 9 years of my life with others aboriginal children who were recognized as indians under the indian Act. They were Aboriginal children from Wendake Québec who only spoke french and later in my teen years with others aboriginal teenagers from New Brunswick First Nation communities.

I suffer as a Métis boy the same trauma of all recognized aboriginal children that were sexually and morally abused by catholic priests and nuns in my early age. I was deprived recognition of my identity as an aboriginal young boy because or generation of ignorance of my family and First Nation ties and history in the province of Quebec, like many other Métis young boys located in New Brunswick .

Today after many years of hard work to bring forward recognition of the Métis People in the province of Québec, I am still not recognized in that province as an Aboriginal person, as a citizen of the Métis Nation in the province of Quebec by the Canadian and the provincial governments and from leaders of the Assembly of First Nations in Québec and Canada, and by the Red River western Métis Nation and the Inuit .

The reasons are, because I am not a status indian and because I am not a government recognized western Métis from the Red River settlements. I am watching on the internet and on the news what is said by Status Indians, recognized Métis and Inuit on the papal visit and on Phil Fontaine.

I wonder what will happen to my Métis people not recognized in this healing process during this papal visit, just because we were not recognized as status indians, Red River western Métis and Inuit therefore no recommendations came from the Truth and Reconciliation reports on eastern Métis to help us ease our pain like all the others aboriginal peoples of Canada and help us also to forgive. We are and still are the forgotten Aboriginal children speaking and living in the French language in eastern Canada.

I am Phil Fontaine brother in law. I participate over the years in helping him with others to do and supporting his coming out, understanding partly what he went trough in his residential school days. I was sitting at his side with our father in law, Reverent Doctor Ahab Spence, when he received the first apology from the minister of Indian Affair in the early 1990s.

Today I see aboriginal people recognized as indians, western Métis and Inuit criticizing the visit of the Pope hoping for an apology according to recommendations 58 of the Truth and Reconciliation reports more so criticizing Phil Fontaine for these actions. This is just the beginning of a long journey of reconciliation that must include the forgotten Métis children of eastern Canada.

I must thank former National Chief Phil Fontaine for his actions, in the hope that one day the forgotten Métis children in eastern Canada who suffer similar painful residential school trauma of sexual and moral abuses will be able to find peace and healing but now watching and crying from far, in front of their television set the visit of the catholic church Pope for truth and reconciliation and hoping in a recognition of the Métis people and the Métis Nation in the province of Québec.

Marci de m'avoir lu.
Claude Aubin
Métis et administrateur de ce site.

info@claudeaubinmetis.com
admin
Administrateur du site

Revenir vers Éditorial